Class 12 English Paper Pattern
It is important for students to understand the Class 12 English Paper Pattern so that they can prepare for the exams properly and get good marks.
The CBSE Class 12 English question paper is of two parts. Part A and Part B. Part A and B both are of 40 marks each. Now let us discuss the parts.
Pattern for Class 12 English Paper
This part contains 40 marks. It has Class 12 English Reading Comprehension of 20 marks and Literature 20 marks.
- An unseen passage will be given . It can be literary, factual or descriptive. Multiple choice questions will come from the comprehension. Questions will be also based on vocabulary and inference of meaning. Students are required to answer ten out of eleven questions. ( 10*1= 10 marks) .
- Unseen case based factual passages will come along with visual or verbal inputs like newspaper reports, charts, data. Students should answer ten out of eleven questions. (10*1 = 10 marks).
Note – Both passages will be a combination of 700-750 words.
- Multiple choice questions will come from prose extracts one each from the books of Flamingo and Vistas. Students must read the lines of the prose carefully to answer the questions. They are required to answer any 2 extracts out of 3. (8*1 = 8 marks).
- Poetry based multiple choice questions will come from the book of Flamingo. The poetry extract will be given . Students should refer to the lines to answer the questions. 1 out 2 questions are required to be answered. (4*1 = 4 marks).
- Multiple choice questions will come from the books Flamingo and Vistas to access interpretation ,analysts and inference. Students are required to answer 8 questions out of 10. (8*1 = 8 marks).
This part mainly consists of subjective questions. This section is a total of 40 marks. It has two sections – Writing Section of 16 marks and Literature Section of 24 marks.
- This part mainly contains notice or poster or advertisement . Students are required to write within a word limit of 50 words. They should attempt one out of the two questions . Marks allotted is 3 ( Format – 1, Expression – 1, Content – 1).
- Formal or informal invitation and reply will be there. Word limit is 50. Students should answer one out of the two questions. Marks allotted is 3 ( Format – 1, Expression – 1, Content – 1).
- Letters will be there and students have to answer them within 120-150 words. Letters will be like – business or official letters, letters to the editors, letters to apply for a job, etc. 5 marks are allotted for this part. ( Format – 1, Expression – 2, Content – 2).
- Analytical and descriptive types of article or debate or speech or report writing will be there. Students should answer one out of the two questions in 120-150 words. Marks allotted is 5. ( Format -1, Expression – 2, Content – 2).
- Five short answered questions are required to be answered out of six. Word limit is 30-40. It will come from prose and poetry from the book of Flamingo. (5*2 = 10 marks ).
- Two short answered questions are required to answer out of three. Word limit is 30-40. It will be prose from Vistas. (2*2 = 4 marks).
- One prose or poetry question is required to answer within 120-150 words out of two from Flamingo. ( 1*5 = 5 marks).
- One long answer is to be answered out of two from Vistas within 120-150 words. It will be a question beyond the text to access global comprehension. (1*5 = 5 marks).
The books prescribed are mainly Flamingo and Vistas.